Thursday, October 02, 2003

"Who Are You? The Fucking Pope?" Baghdad Bishop Gets VIP Treatment by U.S. Soldiers

October 2, 2003

It seems my package has been lost – everything. I have been sick to my stomach for over a month over this package and all the love I put into it. Having mail lost or stolen has to be one of the worst things to happen to a soldier (other than the obvious discomforts and dangers). I am determined to re-create my journal though, and since I read and reread it over and over again – it shouldn’t be too difficult. So I am going to work towards recovering my efforts before my memory fades. I learned some important lessons though. Don’t mail anything important, and don’t get too depressed – work to recover. I need you Nora, and I’ll recover our journal.

“Who the fuck are you, the pope?” I heard a soldier say directly to a bishop today in Baghdad. The bishop arrived at a District Advisory Council ceremony in full dress. When he stepped out of his car so that he could be searched, the soldier guarding the gate at this high level function spoke the nonsense that I quoted above directly to him. The bishop (I believe he was a bishop – he had a scarlet skull cap) responded in English to the soldier,
“I do not think this joke is funny.” The guard dismissed this with a laugh – but suddenly stopped paying the bishop any attention. I was on the verge of telling the guard to get his act together and cut out his disrespect. It’s no use though.
I was with the brass today at the District Advisory Council. It was actually the grand opening of the community center. Paul Bremer showed up too – with his convoy of GMC trucks driving wildly, screeching around corners – each SUV crammed full of kaki-clad bodyguards. There were also 2 armored trucks (Army Hummers tagged along). Several other VIPs showed up, along with Iraqi community leaders. 2 helicopters also flew in. I went into the compound and immediately noticed the high security (American snipers in civilian clothes on the roof and surrounding ground areas). I looked past the catering tents to hear some Iraqi children singing and wearing colorful costumes. The setting was like an outdoor elementary school fair in the middle of a maximum security prison courtyard. It’s a start though, and the security is needed. Just to illustrate the point, gunfire was going off very close to my position, and several bursts rang out very close. I just looked around and made sure I wasn’t being shot at. You get used to the gunfire.
At the end of the meeting, we loaded up in our trucks and left for our camp. I’ve decided to wear my sunglasses less so I can make eye contact with the people. So far – the response has been good. Before, they seemed nervous around us when we wore glasses. I heard a colonel on NBC saying he doesn’t wear sunglasses for the same reason. Something small like that makes a big difference! Nora – I love you! I am going to bed for a few hours now – then I’m going to wake up and call you. I LOVE YOU SPATZI!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home