Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Suicide Bombings Begin, Sabotaged Army Fuel, and Assad Gets Paid...Finally

See video or buy the book at www.American-Interrupted.com.

2 March, 2004 2315

“Thompson, today is a very bad day,” Assad the welder said to me as I greeted him to give him $1000 for his monthly salary. I knew today was a very important day for the Shiah people in Iraq, and there would be trouble. There would be great numbers of people going to Karbala, and I suspected there would be attacks both there and in Baghdad. During most of the day, I noticed nothing had happened in Iraq, and I was almost happy about it. Then I went into the command post (TOC) and saw some pretty white boy FOX news channel reporter on the TV reporting about the bombings in Karbala. Then moments later in Baghdad, suicide bombers killed more people. Today saw the greatest number of civilians killed since the end of the war. I wasn’t even shocked, I’ve become so used to all the loss of life. I don’t like that. I think you just get in a state of mind where you get so used to counting the dead, that individuals become numbers. Sometimes reality does hit though, and my eyes fill with painful tears, and I’m reminded that I’m still alive, and my soul still feels, that I still believe in Jesus, and that I am so lucky to have your love. I sat down with Assad Maizel for about an hour and a half today talking, and each time we speak, I always find something absolutely fascinating. I need to write a few pages just about him!
I worked on my truck all day today as well. The fuel sergeant filled my gas tank as well as other vehicles with sabotaged fuel. It had a white liquid in it like milk. So, I had to drain my fuel tank and change the fuel filter and purge the system. It was interesting work.
After that, I went to get $1000 for Assad’s pay. The mechanics are supposed to pick up his pay, but they always wait a few days, or weeks, to give him the money he needs. So, I asked Sergeant Major Walker for permission and authority to handle the welder’s pay situation myself. So far, I’ve been able to solve all of the welder’s problems, been able to provide his pay and expenses, and all quite simply. I feel good about helping and solving a problem. His family is depending on his pay, and he was growing more and more suspicious about working with the Army. I want him to trust Americans. He just wasn’t getting his pay because our guys were too lazy to watch over his situation, and the welder too afraid to ask for money. Now, it’s all fixed, and he’s happy. “I love you Thompson, like my brother,” he always says. I have a lot of respect for him, and a lot of Iraqis I meet. They really are good people.


See video or buy the book at www.American-Interrupted.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home