Friday, November 14, 2003

Kobe Bryant and Bombs. Car Chase With Apache Gunship

14 November, 2003 0130

Again, I am lagging behind on my journal entries. We have been very busy as attacks and Operation Iron Hammer swings into action. In reference to the attacks last night, ground radar was able to pinpoint where the ground fire was coming from. Apache AH-64 helicopters were anticipating an attack – seeing as CPA is getting attacked pretty often. Well, the Apaches found the trucks that fired the mortars, I presume they went to the grid location quickly. They guided one truck into a checkpoint and the other truck escaped capture from the ground, so the attack helicopters opened fire on the truck. That is an amazing amount of fire – actually designed to kill armored vehicles. It killed two Iraqis and wounded 4 in this case. It’s amazing they all weren’t killed. Mortars and mortar tubes were found in the truck. Also, we got word yesterday that the Air Force would be dropping a 500 pound bomb on a building. Sure enough, the bomb was dropped, as we heard as our windows rattled. Then, an AC-130 Spectre Gunship opened fire while flying above southern Baghdad on a suspected resistance warehouse. It was a busy night, a loud night, and a “turning point” in the war. Or so it seems. In Nasiriyah, over 15 Italian soldiers were killed, along with many Iraqis, as a truck bomb went off at their police headquarters. The Armed Forces Network wouldn’t show CNN coverage of the bombing – choosing instead to talk about the Kobe Bryant rape case involving a basketball star. That’s real news we need.
Yesterday, our mortar platoon launched a series of mortar rounds into a deserted field about 3 miles away. The thing was, they launched these mortars from our parking lot. I went up on the roof and watched the bright flashes and ensuing BOOMs as the 120mm mortars shot out of the gun tube. A few seconds later, you could hear a muffled thud off in the distance. Off in the distance, our artillery guys were observing the rounds land. This is all part of the plan to show our might. It’s actually unfortunate that things are turning to this. On the news, our maneuver general, who I’ve met several times while here, was saying, “This is great, we’re loving it!” It was so unprofessional, and he seemed more alive and animated than I’ve ever seen him. It was the same type of behavior you’d expect a sports fan to show after his team wins a game.
Anyways, for some reason, I’ve got a feeling Bremer is going to be replaced. I don’t know when, but I say February or March. I don’t know about the dates, but if we don’t see real results soon, I believe he’ll be replaced.
You wonder about what is going on here. One of the guys, I think it was Carter, said, “You know, this is like that song that goes, ‘You better stop, hey, what’s that sound, everybody look what’s going down.’” It’s some song from the Vietnam era. He said, “Thompson, you know that song, it reminds me of this place so much:

“There’s something happening here, what it is ain’t exactly clear…”

That’s the feeling you get, that something is going on – something is about to give – but you don’t know if it will be a good or bad event, or when it will happen.
Nora, I love you so sweetly, and I love for coming home to you. It’s tough, but to love you this way and need you this much is a beautiful state to be in – because the love is so pure. I love you Nora, and I’ll be there for you always. Dein Dan.

“I love combat, but I hate war.” ― General Horner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home